No-Bake Energy Bites Recipe
- 1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
- 1 cup toasted coconut flakes (this is what the Shape magazine called for but I don’t like coconut flakes, so I added dried chopped mangos 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter-If the kids are allergic use almond butter
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. (Mine were about 1″ in diameter.) Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Makes about 20-25 balls.
Substitution ideas can abound for just about any of these ingredients! Feel free to substitute in your favorite nut butter (almond butter, sunflower seed butter, etc.) for the peanut butter. And you could also add in some wheat germ in place of some or all of the flaxseed. I would caution, though, against substituting agave nectar for the honey, as the honey’s thickness helps hold things together.
Some other fun substitutions for the chocolate chips (or an addition to them) could include:
- chopped dried fruit (mangoes,apricots, dates, raisins, etc.)
- dried berries (cranberries, cherries, etc.)
- chopped almonds, pecans, or sunflower seeds
- other chips (white chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, etc.)
These are great to take in a little zip-lock bag..usually 3 keep me satisfied..not 3 the size of the palm of your hand but 3 the size of a walnut.